I got it!

And so after 4 rounds of interview and a 10-pager paper on my thoughts of a certain investment project, I received THE call for THE offer.

I would say the pay is slightly lower than I expected it to be but I guess a junior role in PERE (Private Equity Real Estate) with not much experience to boot in the financial modelling area and investment insights arena, I don't have much leverage to argue about it. I spoke to the SVP about it and he told me, "they are very fair people, ask around the market. You do well and prove yourself, you will get the money."

I was looking through the credentials of related team members and they are either of awesome working background (the JP Morgans, the Mckinseys, the Bear Sterns) or of Ivy Leavgue material (the Harvards, the Stanfords). And then I got cold feet.

Managed to annoy myself out of my downward spiralling bad thoughts about thy abilities and said yes to the offer. The SVP gave me a call, telling me again that investments industry is always an intensive affair, and it's hard tedious work that is not the least glamourous as what they've always sold in college career talks. I replied that I understand (we have been through this conversation at least twice) and he said the opportunity in PE is rare these days especially for one which involves global markets and 3 asset classes (Commercial, Residential and Hotels).

"Trust me, doing PE for the next few years will look very good on your scorecard." - coming from someone who was an I-Banker with JP Morgan for the last 10 years, maybe I should buy that. Hahaha.

He mentioned I am indeed a little young to be considered for the role (be it age or career experience), usually people are either MBAs or at least a few years of experience to offer before joining. He saw that I was interested and is willing to deepen my knowledge. We talked indepth about my job role and that he expects me to learn how to do my own investment financial model (quoting from him "I'll provide examples but no copying. I want you to come up with one from scratch. As an investments person, your very own financial model is like your namecard. It's very important to have one and know how to do one well.").

Yikes. I have zero knowledge on that except from school.

I'm happy but at the same time, some of my friends have shown jealousy that I've managed to get a role which to be very honest I wasn't very prepared for. It's not the greatest feeling but sighz whatever. I've got enough projects on hand now to divert my attention from some of the words I've heard.

All in all, I'm happy! Whee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top