On being Hainanese

Being a Hainanese hasn't always been something special to me. Most of my friends don't belong to the dialect group and somehow picking up Hokkien was always a lot cooler back in school. Nonetheless, I've grown up to countless stories of how "pure" my bloodline is as a Hainanese (both my parents are pure Hainanese, which yes translates to having 4 grandparents who comes from the dialect group) and how embarrassing it is that despite growing up in a household where both parents and relatives converse in the language whenever they meet, I can't even complete a proper sentence.

The only time I would excitedly talk about my dialect group would be when my friends rave nonstop about Hainanese chicken rice. "Hey my ancestors came up with this!". Hahaha.

I never understood why my parents were always excited to meet another fellow Hainanese. It happened all throughout my childhood and into my adult years. Sometimes basing just on my friend's surname, they would go "Hainanese?" and I usually go "Really does it matter???"

Well until my sister decided to google around famous Hainanese in Singapore and came across this article. I identified alot with the writer's sentiments. That throughout our childhoods, we were constantly reminded of our heritage. And how our parents and relatives insist we must visit Hainan Island at least once in our lifetime. Education was also something that was emphasized strongly within the clan. "We came from a family of provincial government officials and scholars, and that is why most of your uncles are professors or teachers", was what my mother used to say.

This article brings up the conversation I had with my sister, about saving up to take the whole family to Hainan Island sometime this year or next. Our parents, are after all, growing old and we had barely traveled much together as a family.

"You know, we would go back to the island and find out more about cousins and uncles we never knew. And maybe find out why we look pan-asian!" my sister said. Hahaha. All we know is our dad got his pan-asian looks from my grandma. She passed away when he was 10 years old so we never saw her before except in old faded photos. He mentioned she doesn't know much about her roots either as births weren't as well documented back then.

Alas, the mystery of our roots!

The article reminded me I came from a minority dialect group and I have equal parts duty to ensure I carry on as much of the culture as possible. Maybe it's time I pick up the language from my parents and also plan that trip to Hainan Island! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top