Work trip to Kuala Lumpur!

It's been such a long time since I logged on here! Guilty as charged. 

Was whisked off to Kuala Lumpur and Xiamen for work over the last 2 months (late March and late April) which leaves very little time for other things in-between. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to show of the amazing KL city but I do have MANY shots of the hotel and serviced suites I stayed in. Yup, that shows how boring my work trip was - most of my time was spent indoors. Hahaha! 

Okay in all honesty, the nature of the work done in the Hotel was very fun but I do wished I had time to step out. 

PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur Hotel

My colleague and I spent the first 7 days of the trip here. Located in Bukit Bintang (shopping and entertainment district of Kuala Lumpur), the PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur Hotel is the perfect place to stay in if you want to do loads of shopping and eating around the city. 




First up my room! I was staying in the Orchid Club Premier King room. It's not the best habit but I guess it's part of being in my line of work. The first thing I do every time I step into a room is to drop everything and take loads of photos of the room in as many angles as I can. No matter if it's for work trip or for personal holidays, it's the first thing I will do. Extremely particular about toilet cleanliness and arrangement of cushions and furniture and I'm glad this room was perfect in every way :) 






As we were staying at the Orchid Club rooms, we had access to the Club floor where you can come up here for drinks and breakfast (if you don't wish to eat with the crowd). It was very spacious and has amazing view! 





Unfortunately, no shots of the vicinity. As the Hotel had many dining options, we didn't see the need to step out for food. If you asked me about the weather of KL in those 7 days, I wouldn't be able to tell you! 


PARKROYAL Serviced Suites KL

We shifted over to the Serviced Suites for the next 5 days. I got the Studio Suite King room. Absolutely love how spacious it is! 





The breakfast area


As the property houses more long-stay guests compared to hotels, they have a common area for in-house guests to hang around. There are computer terminals, loads of reading materials and games to play as well. 







While the Serviced Suites served breakfast and in-room dining, it actually does not have an in-house restaurant. This gives us more reasons to venture out. 

We were quite hard pressed for time on our first day there (loads of work to clear at the new property!) so we opted for somewhere nearby. One of the staff directed us to a roadside economy rice store just across the street. 


The concept is rather interesting. They have a wide range of food selection available and you get to take food yourself in whichever portions you want. In Singapore, the store owner usually takes them for you so sometimes it's hard to nick an additional piece or two. 



Once satisfied with what you have, you can proceed to the counter. The lady takes a look at the dishes you pick (with no regards for the portions) and charge accordingly. There seemed to be no standard way to price this!


There were many nice cafes around the Serviced Suites so we cafe-hopping over the next few days. This was our favourite although I don't remember the name. It's less than 5 minutes away from the property, serves to-die-for curry chicken and amazing teh (milk tea). It has very old school deco, reminds me of those hipster cafes in Singapore! 







As the property staff didn't think it was safe for us to go out at night, we usually have our dinner early when the day is still bright and makes it back to the Serviced Suites before skies turn dark. The GM (General Manager) of the property was very kind to take us out for dinner one night. We went to Restoran Siu Siu (Cantonese for Small Small Restaurant) at Robson Heights, an elevated area in Kuala Lumpur. 

The owner speaks Cantonese and this place serves out of this world food, especially so for that perfectly roasted char siew! You have to order this if you go there. 


Steamed patin fish. Another must-order. The fish was very fresh and the sauce light, it really brings out the tenderness and flavour of the fish. 


Home-made bean curd with long beans and minced meat. The bean curd is very soft and the salty long beans/meat paste complemented it so well. Also must-order! 


This dish is called Green Dragon Vegetables. Yes you read that right. It's lightly stir-fried and absolutely yummy. Another must-order as well. 


Besides eating, most of my time is really spent doing work in various corners of the room (at the desk, on the bed, in the living room or in kitchenette) and spinning the television around whenever I am. 



On our last weekend in KL, we decided to venture out to the Chinatown area just behind the property. The Serviced Suites is located near vibrant night life (read: a string of pubs and nice restaurants). Once you walked past pubs, you will find Chinatown! 







My only regret about staying here is... I didn't get to use the roof top pool at all! :( If I get to come here for work again the next time, I'm totally going to bring my swimsuit. 





Can't wait to come back to KL for work trip again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top