The Eurasian

I was queuing faithfully at chinese mixed rice today - I'm such an ardent fan my colleagues get a shock if I decide to eat something else (I know I know I know...I broke the healthy eating habits just within the day - but I had my serving of fruits. Please~~~~forgive me.) and I think it was the first time in many months I spoke to the stall auntie in mandarin.

She threw me a really surprised look.

Auntie: "I thought you Eurasian! Aiyo now I no need so stress speak English liao."

Right. When I was in China, they thought I was from Xinjiang. I recalled my first day at work, every other person thought I was some new cool Burmese/Thai/Filipino chick and was greeted with a "wow so which country are you from?" by every expatriate. My first day at St R*egis Singapore, they thought I was the new Director of RM from Thailand. The Shanghainese management trainees didn't believe I am a Singaporean. How can~~~?

Intern: "Hey! That's a new identity! You had Thai-Chinese, Burmese, Vietnamese, XinJiang, Malay, Filipino-Chinese...and now you are Eurasian!"

Now now, at least I have walked out of Asia. *dry laugh*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top