K love

Hola!

I'm still alive. :)

New management in the company + new role in office = madness in my real world. In order to escape from the new office craziness in the form of a German CEO, I've rediscovered the beauty of Korean dramas.


Have stayed away from them for the longest time (besides the epic ones based history or decent storylines) mainly because I'm quite done with the senseless crying, unnecessary suffering for love and the incessant need for at least one character to die of cancer/lose memory due to accident.

Honestly I can't remember how I picked up on the latest K-hit - My Love from the star (or some calls it My Love from another star - 来自星星的你). I reckon it must be the endless features across newspapers and Taiwan/China news.

By Korean drama standard, it's a pretty fresh genre. Alien/human love story (think Twilight and I don't know other weird vampires/zombies love stories maybe?) but Koreans being Koreans, it obviously ended up being more rom-com than weird. I remember scoffing at it when I first read it off the papers. Are you kidding me? Alien and human? Ludicrous.

I was so wrong. And I'm glad I'm wrong.The casting was excellent (especially the female lead - Jun Ji Hyun. Remember that baby-fat face actress in My Sassy Girl donkey years ago?) and the storyline didn't fail (at least to me and the 1 billion people across Asia who viewed the final episode on Thursday). There were more funny scenes than sobbing ones - where the tear-filled ones were well balanced enough for you to feel the pain yet not too over the top.

There were just too many classic scenes that still cracks me up. Love how the female lead is different from the traditional sobbing/weak/"I can't fight for my love"/whiny Korean female characters - she's strong, over confident (which is absolutely funny) and definitely fights for her love. Jun Jin Hyun carried the role extremely well and definitely in style, with all the clothes, accessories that she dons on selling like hot cakes thereafter. Kim Soo Hyun (best known for his emperor role in Korea's 2012 epic drama hit - The Moon that embraces the Sun, where it achieved the viewership of half of South Korea) did a terrific job as the alien who spent 400 years on planet earth  as well.

Superficial stuff aside, I liked that the show covered a deeper side of life - that time is not a matter of how long it is, but a matter who you spent it with/what you do with it. As an alien who didn't age and spent 400 years on earth, it never occurred to the male lead that time was precious and limited. It was until he fell in love with the female lead 3 months before he had to depart from the earth when he realized the value of relationship, love and precious moments that the "foolish humans" hanker for. There was hardly a dull episode in the entire series and I'm thankful the ending was not crappy (or it would have ruined the whole series). In fact, it was unexpected but satisfying at the same time.

Read about the show here.
Read the episode recaps here (love the way they write it)
Watch the show online here.

If there's absolutely one K-drama you have to watch, I highly recommend this one. It's extremely addictive. Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

1 comment:

  1. HAHA. Recommend you another fav show : The Masters of the sun :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top