Shanghai Trip (Nov 2015) - Day 5

Day 5 was November 26 and also my birthday!

If you want to read about the earlier days, click on the links below:

Prior to the trip, the boy had suggested that we eat a full day of vegetarian for my birthday, which is good for positive karma. I like the idea and agreed to it. Breakfast was made specially by the boy - noodles with vegetable soup. I was so hungry by the time he was done so I don't have a photo of the final product.



It was an extremely cold day (remember the notification on his weather app on the sudden chill from the north) and it's the first time I see folks out with their feather jackets since I arrived in Shanghai. 


Our first vegetarian meal of the day was at 大蔬无界 at XuJiaHui. He had brought his vegetarian friend here a few months back and the friend had raved much about it. We took a train to XuJiaHui and took a 20 min walk to the restaurant.




As we reached fairly late (around 2pm ish) - the lunch service was over and the restaurant was incredibly empty. Which works out well for me because it felt like we booked the entire place hehe 







We ordered a few dishes and they were all yummy!  - including panfriend lotus root (with soy bean fillings), fancy taro rolls with sauce, abalone mushrooms and stir-fried tofu slices 






We were soooo full after the meal!  So we head out for a walk in the park nearby. It was crazily cold and my ears felt numb after a few seconds out there. 













After our long walk, the boy decided to pamper me with a full body massage but I declined it. Instead I opted for a cheaper alternative - foot reflexology at a Japanese-inspired (桃源乡) massage place in Nanjing East Road. 

By the time massage was over at around 5 plus pm, it was extremely dark. This is something I really dislike about the winter season.









It was extremely cold as well - it was around 3 degrees and the wind chills meant business man. Still, together with the rest of the crazy people along the Bund area, we decided to take a quick stroll along the river 

Look at the crowd! It was crazily cold! 

By the way, we also caught sight of at least 8 couples having their wedding shots taken. It was a good and bad day to because the skies were extremely clear and the skyline looked amazing but it was SO DARN COLD . Feel bad for the brides-to-be who were braving the cold in their tube dresses while the groom and photographers were hiding in thick down feather jackets. 





After a 30 minute walk, we were cold and extremely hungry. So it was time to head to our dinner place - 素人素食 (Veg Inn). It was located at ChangNing and we took a train there.

Contrary to the restaurant where we had our lunch, Veg Inn was a lot smaller and intimate. It double up as shop selling Buddhist scriptures/statures et cetera as well. I was so cold I didn't even take off my jacket while having my meal 







The soup turned cold so fast we had to finish it first. Actually all the dishes turned cold so fast so we had to finish them quickly. 

Told the boy I cannot take the cold anymore and we hurried home - in time for the cake that he ordered! 

The weather was so cold outside it functions as a fridge for the mousse cake  (we placed it on his clothes drying rack).





The cake came with some really really cute spoons that can cut and feed yourself the cake efficiently. Cake shops in Singapore should really consider that! 

It dropped to 1 degree by around 11pm and I'm just glad we were no longer outdoors. 


So this wraps up my 30th birthday celebration and also my day 5 in Shanghai !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top