Of banks' demises and my re-birth

And so Lehman's shares fell 94% today. Wow. I guess Wall Street is gonna be a wee bit lonely from now on, especially with all these big boys dropping off from the game of greed.

On a sadistic note, I actually think it's cool to be able to witness the demise of such big corporations. I remembered last year when I attended Merrill Lynch's career talk and I asked about their views on how far sub-prime could unfold. "It will be over before Halloween." was their reply. It turned out THEY were over before the next Halloween. Twist of fate in life can be very very scary.

So will AIG be the next self-fulfilling prophecy and succumb to one of the worst financial crisis ever? I'm tempted to pick up my boss's The Economist and Harvard Business Review to find some answers. Especially since he's not around and my colleague says we are free to take and read it. Haha.

My boss was really nice. He mass-emailed the heads on Monday about me coming on board. So I had unfamiliar faces calling out to my name when I was introduced around the 2 offices. He mass-emailed the h*otel managers as well today and my colleague said: "Oh NOW they know you are going to take my position..you are going to have A LOT of emails!". I gave her a horrified expression and she assured me that "don't worry they will mostly be congratulating you for coming on board and my new promotion. As for the work-related, we will sit together and answer them." I heaved a REALLY big sigh of relief.

The company is going to have a F1 special event this Friday. According to my colleagues, they are trying to make TGIF parties every Friday instead of alternate Fridays. I hope I am un-stressed enough to enjoy. I hope they will hold a party like what the VP suggested (in the Managing Director's office since he has left to be based in Middle East). That room has the perfect view of the F1 track!

Anyway, I am overwhelmed by information at work. Too much information man. Brains fried. I stared at the spreadsheets today and got a rude shock at how little I learned in school for CAT. Those codes looked so alien!

I will just have to work damn hard. Wish me luck and I hope to fight on well. Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top