2012!

So it's erm the 16th day of 2012 and I think most people (except me) are done with their goodbyes to 2011 and hellos to the brand new year.

I just sent out an email to my annoying superior and I hope he gets off my back soon :D I should really be sleeping now but since I'm waiting for the alarm to ring for the removal of my facial mask, I shall just do a quick post. This is so not a quick post. darn. Haha

2011 had its fair share of ups and down.

Career wise, I was poised for a promotion with my previous firm but I left for good reasons. Reasons that kept me in my current role despite being verbally and emotionally abused by my superior. Haha. I must say things have gotten better because the HR and some senior management people have taken things into their own hands and they stood behind me. That being said, it doesn't mean I'm not opening to other opportunities. It is my good fortune to always have ex colleagues and friends standing by me, offering their Headhunters as my avenues. I've spoken to another 2 headhunters and who knows?

Family wise, I still quarrel with my parents. A lot. Though I must say I'm getting that wee bit better of not snapping back at them when I'm terribly annoyed and tired with work and them bugging me about everything under the sun.

Friends. 2011 has to be THE year which I attended the most number of gatherings! From NYE countdown, to the band clique's birthdays, to more SMUBE gatherings because of my BF, more JC gatherings because them girls wanted to be there at the lowest points of my working relationship with my superior, more uni comm service clique gatherings because we came together again (with 2 new additions!) when Ziqiang got married late last year and re-acquainting with primary school friends because we've all reached a different stage of our lives (career, marriage, breakups and blah). When I was in my previous 2 firms, work was satisfying and work was everything. I could skip gatherings, skip birthdays because I was so wrapped up in the world of climbing the corporate ladder. 2011 was different, not because I suffered setbacks in my new role, but because it dawned to me I never wanted to become the person that my current superior is. He has no friends, no family to call his own, in his 40s. Bitter, has little regards for personal time and is just lonely most of the time.

Love wise, 2011 proved to be a fruitful one! Hahaha. Are you reading this Quek? Hahaha. Thank you for putting up with my whiny complaints and sometimes, I know unreasonable requests. Thank you for being a big part of the "good" in my 2011 :D

I had too long a list for 2011, so I've learned my lesson. HAHAHA. Be more focused, woman!

In 2012, I hope for:-

#1: Better health
I've lived all my life eating junk food and god bless me I have never been quite overweight so far. But such fortunes is believed to be short-lived. So this year I hope to eat less junk food - and aim for just 1 fast food meal a week! The BF is going to take me to more salad bars moving forward so I hope I will start to love salads like he does. Haha. 3 visits to the gym per week, including at least one yoga/pilates class too!

Oh and drink more water. Hahaha. 2 litres a day!

#2 Better temper
Mainly due to the level of stress at work, I've been reduced to a short-fused bomb in 2011. Just ask my family members or my BF and you might get a glimpse of what I mean. And I'm very sorry they had to be at the receiving end of my inability to process such unhappiness from work. I snap at small things and became a very ugly woman I must say. In 2012, I hope to hold my temper better, be less affected by the negative people in life.

"Don't let anyone's ignorance, hate, drama or negativity stop you from being the best person you can be" was my bestie's message to me. Yes bestie, I will bear that in mind :)

#3 Read more
Sadly, I did not accomplish the goal I set for myself to read a book every month for 2011. I only read 3! Geez. I want to wish for the same thing for 2012. I believe I can achieve that this year :)

My current read is "The Magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz.

#4 Disconnect, to connect
If I had been anti-social when I had my blackberry, I must say I became VERY anti-social after getting the iPhone. This article from New York Times has certainly hit a few nails.

"We have more and more ways to communicate, but less and less to say" How very apt.

Today, I spent the whole day at my internet- and computer-less grandma's house, without my phone. When I realized I left the house without it, I was jittery. I was, well, uneasy. But it made me spend more time with my uncle, and talking to my grandma over tea and butter toast.

After the dinner ended, my mum said "Isn't it good to be away from your phone? You talk more. We seldom talk these few years. Our years are numbered, don't wait for us to be gone, before you want to talk to us."

That hit me like, I don't know. During the cab ride home, I thought alot. I was always either working on my laptop or busy with my phone when I'm home. Mum was right. I want to disconnect more in 2012, in order to connect more.

#5 Visit funky food places
Thanks to the BF, I've had the honour of dining at many places in 2011. I want these food adventures to go on in 2012! :)

#6 Like seriously, go travel for fun
No I didn't accomplish the travelling for fun part of the resolutions for 2011. My travelings were ALL for work. GAH.

This year, Bintan and Bali/Bangkok are in the works, one for with the BF's colleagues, and one for K Ho's stag night. I suggested to the BF let's go Europe somewhere end of the year - including Austria, Prague and Czech. We'll see! :D

#7 Show more gratitude
I was mostly an angry woman in 2011, especially the later part of it. HAHA. And I forgot to give thanks to a lot of things. Like giving thanks to my understanding parents who provided great home-cooked food everyday, who gave me a warm bed to come home to, giving thanks to the BF for always being so patient and putting up with my crazy workload and my even more crazy short-tempers, giving thanks to my dear friends who made me realize what's most important in life, and to life in general for being so good to me in the last 26 years.

In 2012, I want to show appreciation for the smaller things in life and to live everyday fully and with gratitude. I want to be a thankful girl.

#8 Maybe learn some cooking?
Ok I admit, I suck at cooking. I'm at best just maggie mee standard, and it doesn't even include adding fancy stuff like veggies and meat balls. Embarrassed, I am. Yes, my BF cooks better than me. And it is my good fortune that I get to eat the stuff he cooks all the time when I'm hungry.

So towards the end of 2011, he requested that I cook once for him. Poor guy, must have suffered the entire year. Ok B, will learn to cook in 2012 la! ;-)

#9 Mastering the word "Action!"
If there's a tournament for Procrastinator of the year, I'm definitely up for nomination in the Top 10. I've given so much thought into things like losing that 2 kg, revamping my room (oh god, I still have friends askig me if my room is done up already. I started that project...2 years ago...), buying a new study desk, getting that new laptop (I'm still caught between Windows or Mac!!! OMG I'm terrible I know), getting my IPL sessions in place (hairy issues you know), and I don't know.

2012, Yu*Hui is going to be Ambassador of the word "Action!". Mark my words.

#10 Save save save!
Good thing, I did double my savings account in 2011. So that part of the resolution (which is rather important) has been ticked. I want to double my savings again in 2012. And hopefully, start some investments too.

$$$$ come to me! :D

2012 is going to be awesome. I just know it. Cheers to 2012 everyone! :D


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:22 PM

    Hahaha love the picture - Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:34 AM

    On to a better year!! Glad you found my Headhunter contacts useful.

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Oh like finally you got this post up. Hahaha. Just kidding! Cheers 2012!

    CC

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top