Just an update

While ironing clothes this afternoon (I'm now my mum's trusty housemaid hurhur), I got a call from my ex-colleague from my first company. The familiar "hello homey! How have you been!?" never fails to crack me up. He called to ask how have I been and how was job hunting. Still hunting, I replied and updated him as well which stage I'm at with the top 2 companies that I'm very keen to get an offer from.

It will come, homey. It will. We are all here, right behind you, he said.Thank you for the vote of confidence, I replied inbetween laughters.

I've turned down 3 job offers so far. You can call me idealistic or picky, but those offers didn't feel right at all. The packages were good, don't get me wrong. But interactions with the teams during each company's interview process didn't leave a good impression on me. Some were haughty, some were downright judgmental (one commented that I wasn't interested in earning money because as a finance grad, I wasn't interested in bonds and shares.). Most importantly, none of them had anything to do with specifically hotels, which is pretty much the only thing that really excites me. All were roles with real estate funds, which are roles I'm not marginally interested in. It reminds me of how I spent 9 months job hunting for my first job because I was very serious about where I landed at. I applied for everything/anything I could find, slowly eliminating options/nature of industries that I wasn't keen. Interviews ranging from big investment banks, boutique finance firms to the likes of Google and even insurance, I've been there. Turning down those 3 offers weren't easy, but I wanted to keep in mind what my professors told me 4 years ago.

Why be so specialized at your age, you may ask. Explore something else, you may say. I do get that question and comment quite often, from banker friends, and my sister as well. I remembered during one of my recent interviews which involved a call from Shanghai, one of the directors asked why I liked the role I was applying for. I'm lucky to find what I love early in life and I can't imagine myself doing anything else, except that for the rest of my life, I replied. She laughed. I don't know what that means, but at least I got a call a few days back that they are having an internal debate on company needs and my preference for office placement. They want me to rank my preferences and see if arrangements could be made. I'll have to see where that goes.

Cross fingers and wish the best for me! :)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:36 PM

    Jiayou girl! :)

    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 PM

    Good things are worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:01 AM

    Sometimes the wait will kill you. But I'm sure the right one is worth the wait. Hang on!

    Bro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:00 AM

    Take your time and choose wisely :) The wait will definitely be worth it.

    - chezz

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top