Perfect afternoon for the arty farty Harry Potter fans

Quek was really nice - because he treated me to a great artsy afternoon at the Arts & Science Museum at Marina Bay Sands. Yes we went for the Andy Warhol exhibition! And did the Harry Potter one as well! What can I say, I'm easily satisfied. Meh. He's not a great fan of Harry Potter so I'm pretty glad he agreed to just go with me. Haha.

If you have a long afternoon to spend, I would recommend going for both because it really makes...economic sense. Haha. I mean 2 exhibitions for $24 (per local adult)! If one is to go for both on separate occasions, it would cost around $11 more in total.


There are allocated timeslots for the Harry Potter Exhibition so it's good that you plan in advance what's the best timing to go. On hindsight, we should have gone for a later slot - lesser kids (No offence but they are quiteeeee noisy) and definitely less of a crowd (queuing up to look at costume displays, not fun hurhur).

That's the flying Ford Anglia that Ron Weasley and Harry Potter drove in Book 1. Being the typical Singaporean, 4D anyone? ;)



There was a long queue to get into the exhibition area and there were merchandise shops and magic show stands to entertain you. Plus you get to take a photo wearing Gryffindor's scarf and a wand. HAHA. And no we did not collect our photos which are available at the end of the tour. 

No photo-taking was allowed so I didn't take any pictures. The tour starts with the Sorting Hat (where one volunteer gets called out and of course, gets sorted into Gryffindor) and slowly unfolds into various areas including the Dining Hall (floating candles and all), Quidditch area (the details in the costumes are amazing), Harry and Ron's dormitory room and so on. They feature real-life costumes worn by the cast as well, and man are those actors and actresses slim! 

The tour ends at the merchandise store...which I must say most of the things are really pricey! So of course, we didn't get anything, though I was quite tempted to get the Hogwarts' hoodie. Hurhur. Oh, Every Flavour Jelly Beans is available in the store too! Wasn't too keen to get it after I read through the list of flavours which included erm "vomit", "booger" and "dirt". 

We took almost 2 hours to finish the tour and we managed to cover everything :)

Wasted no time in going over to Andy Warhol's 15 Minutes Eternal exhibition - you can get an audio device for $5 each but we figured we didn't really need them. 

I'm so bad with Instagram - everything comes out either too dark or just plain crappy. 


The exhibition started off with the famous "Uh Yes.. Uh no" interview of Andy Warhol:



Quite a character, don't you think? I love how he doesn't talk much about his work, he just let people interpret it in ways they do. Godfather of Hipsters I tell you. Hahaha.


His quotes were littered around the exhibition ground and man I love them. Grabbed some off the net since no photo taking was allowed as well.


There were videos of his silkscreen art, his daily lives (there was a stage he was obsessed with recording his daily living) and such. I must say, the silkscreen painting, is AMAZINGGGGGG. 

My favourite pieces of art were definitely his famous Campbell soup advert:

and the Marilyn Diptych:

Makes me wanna go get a silk screen and paint some outrageously-coloured Mao Tze Dong or something. 

Highly recommended even if you don't understand art! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top