Eat, Pray, Love

I'm finally done with the book - really took my own sweet time on this one. Hurhur.

For the uninitiated, Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia is a personal memoir of Elizabeth Gilbert. It chronicles her trip around the world after her divorce and the discoveries she made during her travels. You can read more about the story here. 


The book features 108 short stories, 36 for each country - it's easy to digest (although some parts about Italy's culture and history did bore me a little) since each short story didn't go beyond 4-5 pages max (I think). My favourite portions were the ones that she wrote about India, covering a lot about inner peace, meditations and yoga. 

Personally, I like the way she writes - heart wrenching at some points, philosophical at others - but overall, hilarious. I chuckled to myself so many times. 

I've always had a soft (wayy too soft) spot for meaningful quotes and it's littered all over the place for this book. I guess that's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the book a lot. 

"Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be." 

"This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something."

"When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your mind around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings."

"You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions."

"You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That's the only thing you should be trying to control."

"Eventually, everything goes away."

"As smoking is to the lungs, so is resentment to the soul; even one puff is bad for you."

"God dwells within you, as you."

My favourite-est (if there's such a word) has to be the one the medicine man in Bali (I wished I had dropped by his place when I was in Ubud for work!) said:

"Why they always look so serious in Yoga? You make serious face like this, you scare away good energy. To meditate, only you must smile. Smile with face, smile with mind, and good energy will come to you and clean away dirty energy. Even smile your liver. Too serious, it makes you sick. You can call the good energy with a smile." 
It just mean one should create a practice of happiness so deep down, even your liver has a smile. 


LOVEEEEEEEE it :)




I know there are plenty of bad reviews for the movie, but I think I'm just going to ask Quek to download and just give it a try. Hurhur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top