And I went spinning

So I took my first spinning class this weekend. I didn't exactly planned it. All these years I've been the treadmill girl and honestly it was getting a bit dry. I was so bored on the machine on Saturday, I strolled into the elementary Spinning (RPM) class and eventually stayed on another hour. What's a spinning class, you may ask. It's really just RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), or really just a fancy name for indoor (hardcore) cycling. Hahaha. Read here for more information.

It was done in a studio with various lighting and music settings, and with an extremely hyper instructor. It's almost difficult not to push your limits during the session. We started the class with Moves Like Jagger (I think it's a remixed version because it was soooo fast-paced) and we were all on steady pace and I thought to myself "Geez how is this even tough. I think I can breeze through."

I was so wrong. Midway through the first track, the instructor started yelling for us to increase the resistance on the pedals. This is controlled by a knob in the centre of the bike and is meant to mimic the different terrains - flat roads or uphill. Turn it up and feel the burn man. 

I can totally understand why Mila Kunis, Lady Gaga, Jennifer Aniston swears by it. By the time I disembark myself from the pedals and step off the bicycle, I swear I couldn't feel my legs any more. I was all wobbly and jelly legs during the stretch out session, I really just wanted to sit down and let someone do the stretching for me. I definitely had pushed myself too hard (I blame the music) so the advice is.. there is really no need to  raise the resistance even if your instructor is yelling for that to be done over the loud music. As he put it, as long as there's enough resistance to stop yourself from bobbing up and down in your seat (which really is quite an unpleasant feeling), you are doing fine. 

I must have stretched it out enough to not let the soreness cross over to Sunday though. I do however, have an aching butt (man those seats are uncomfortable) and surprisingly, aching abs. Did I even use those things during my 60 minutes of workout?? 

All in all, I actually do like it. I love how I was all drenched in perspiration just halfway through the session and it's pretty good practice if I eventually do wish to buy my own bicycle. I hope the bum hurts lesser though. It won't be something I will do too often in a week because I don't want gigantic thighs but I guess Pilates and Yoga/Hot Yoga/Hatha Yoga should be able to even that out.

Okay, I hope they are able to even that out. Hahaha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top