Goodbye 2014 and Hello 2015!

I've not been the best person in keeping this blog updated - and for the daily readers who still bothered to pop by every now and then, I thank you immensely for showering this friend/stranger some of your precious time :)

Since this is the first post of 2015, I'll make it a cliched one - one that wraps up the previous year and talks about the next.

So 2014....

has been a very ordinary but beautiful year for me. Ordinary because there was no exceptional feat I did in 2014 that makes me want to jump up high and fist pump myself. Beautiful because many things happened that still makes me smile with my heart warm.

WORK

I started 2014 with a promotion at work. I've had switched a few jobs almost every other year in the first 3 to 4 years of my working life. This meant I never stayed long enough to be promoted within the firm although I've always left with glowing appraisals from my then bosses. This promotion definitely meant something to me. Covering additional responsibilities has helped me grow over the last year and I'm definitely looking forward to more growth opportunities in the coming years.

HEALTH and FITNESS

I still failed terribly at taking care of my health although I vowed to clean up my eating habits and exercise regime at the start of 2014. I fell sick a grand total of 6 times this year - 2 of which took almost 3 weeks to recover. Not the best sign for someone still in her 20s (albeit late)! The year ended with me sick and yes I counted down to 2015 with a nasty cough and running nose.

Fortunately, I managed to maintain my exercise regime right till budget season - before it all fell apart.

READING

My reading goals died mid way through the year - not proud of it either. I would love to blame it on the harsh work schedules but who am I kidding when folks like Steve Jobs and Warren Buffett reads voraciously even in their demanding roles.

CLOSE FRIENDS and FAMILY

2014 witnessed the marriage of many of my close ones - Joyce to her life-long friend Vincent, Huifang to her high school sweetheart Jerly, Pamela to her partner in crime James, my cousin Danny to his favourite lady Sofie and my little cousin Xinjuan to her best friend since middle school.

I still did not become the good daughter and sister that I wanted to be - I still had my fair share of tempers and lost patience on my parents more times than I should.

OTHER PERSONAL STUFF

Thankfully, I kept to my saving goals. Probably a side product of getting closer to the big 30, I've become much more conscious of the insurance policies I buy (and what they cover). 2014 saw a surge in the number of meetings and emails exchange with my financial planner and I'm glad to say I closed off the year satisfied with my financial planning.

Attended a few finance classes this year and I'm glad to say there were so many great useful retirement planning advice I've taken away from the folks who were kind enough to share them.

Last and all, I met the new love of my life - albeit it's only 3 months old and he's far away in Shanghai for an 18-month long secondment, we are still doing fine.

TRAVELS

This year has been relatively mild (compared to my earlier career options) in travel, being only to Australia for work and Myanmar for leisure. Mild as they were, both were places that I've never been to until this year and both were beautiful in their own ways. I wished I traveled more on a personal/leisure basis but I have to keep an eye on my financial goals as well. Something has got to give sometimes I guess!


For 2015...

It's always nice to start the new year knowing what you fell short of last year and why you need to improve this year :)

WORK

Now that I have spent exactly a year in my new (or not so new) role, I'm motivated to learn more and move on to the next level. The feedback session with my direct report late last year fueled my hunger to build necessary experiences and skill set in order to move up the ladder. I need to work harder this year to not let him, and most importantly, myself, down.

This year, I want to be able to manage junior staff better and be able to hold my opinions better in a boardroom.

HEALTH and FITNESS

2014 ended on a tough reminder to myself that health is so so important. Over the last one year I can feel my health deteriorate - frequent bouts of flu and a much longer time to recover. I came back from Myanmar with a deep chest cough that witnessed the come back of my asthma. I haven't had that since I was 15 years old! Determined to steer my health back on track, I've visited 2 sinsehs, 1 who has helped me with my eczema 4 years back and the other one recommended by a good friend of mine. Both commented that my diet and lifestyle need to change - more fresh food, no fried food and minimal late nights.

This year, I will clean up my diet (fried food free for the last 1 week and counting!) and be the obedient patient that my Chinese sinseh needs me to be. Exercise regime will resume when this bout of cough is over so my health and fitness level can be back on track. This body - will after all be the one and only place I have to live in - I might as well make it a good place to be.

READING

Since last year, I've kept my readings to strictly non-fiction books - mostly business and finance based. This trend is likely to be here to stay, especially with friends sending in lists of books to read from Business Insider, Inc. Com, Forbes and Stanford School of Business! I've kick started the year with Peter Lynch's Beating the Street. I'm only into the first chapter and I'm enjoying it so far.

This year, I aim to finish 30 books.

CLOSE FRIENDS and FAMILY

I've come to realized some of my close friends are afraid of asking me for favours because they were afraid I would be busy - when Huifang got married, she said it took her courage to ask me to be her emcee whereas I was exhilarated to be able to host her wedding with my (and also her) bestie, Wendy. She mentioned that she knew I was busy with work (mostly) and was afraid I would turn her down. Then it dawned to me, while I've always thought I was a great friend, I actually wasn't. I was always preoccupied with work and my dear friends have thought themselves as burdens sometimes if they were to reach out to me.

What a terrible friend I've been.

The same rings true for my parents - both of whom have always hesitated to trouble me because I was mostly impatient with their request for help relating to electronic gadgets and other administrative matters (both do not speak or read English).

What a terrible child I've been.

This year, I still want to be a more patient daughter and sister to my family. I want to be more generous with my parents - in both monetary terms and love. I also want to be a more understanding friend who can listen better and be there for my friends whenever they need me most.

OTHER PERSONAL STUFF

Financially, I want to be able to maintain my saving habits and reach my desired financial goals. I will be more disciplined and focused in driving and reaching these milestones.

In terms of relationships, I want to be a better girlfriend to J. He's been a great (and bigger) guy so far, coping well with my weird temper and always putting me first in his plans (be it now or future). Now that we are miles apart due to his 18-month secondment in Shanghai, I've learned to cherish time with him more. Although we video-chat every single night, it doesn't lessen the lack of his presence here in Singapore. I definitely still miss having meals with him just across the table or just holding his hand and walking down streets.

TRAVELS

I foresee slightly more personal travels to Shanghai this year just because J is now there and it's not possible that he flies back all the time. Had plans to hike Mount Rinjali in May but that is likely to clash with the original schedule that was set aside to visit J in Shanghai. Anyhow, we will work these timings out ;-)

And here's my favourite quote of the year to wrap up this post:


Don't wait for inspiration. Be the inspiration. 

HELLO 2015! Wishing you all a great year ahead as well! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey you updated too!

    Yay to reading goals! For me, I've been reading almost exclusively fiction in 2014 so what I'll do in 2015 is to cycle between fiction and non-fiction. Looking at 24 books because, you know, it's more easily tracked. To a wonderful 2015! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha yeah! About time and there's still so much backlog to put on this space.

    24 is a good number for tracking! Cross fingers we can read more than the goals we set. To an amazing 2015 too Dan!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top