Phantom of the Opera - Singapore

There are beautiful amazing things in life. And there is watching Phantom of the Opera live. To me, they are kinda the same thing. It's such a classic that it's hard to find anyone who's not familiar with that signature opening piece of the famed musical. Anyhows, familiar or not, chills will definitely run down your spine the moment the orchestra starts up the first note of the Overture.

That's the magic of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber I guess. It has been 27 years since it first opened at West End London in 1986. The musical has gone down in history as the longest running show ever and has chalked up a box office of around US5$5.6 billion worldwide. No matter how many times you read about it, or watched the big screen adaptations, nothing quite compare to watching it live.

My first brush with Phantom of the Opera was it's orchestra score. There was once our band conductor contemplated the piece for our school performance. As a usual practice, we would download a full album of the piece and listen to it to death. Bam! I was hooked. It went on loop for months although eventually we didn't play it.

When I know Phantom of the Opera was coming to Singapore, you have no idea how excited I was. This is the third time the musical hit our tiny shores and I'm extremely grateful/happy that I'm no longer a poor student/undergrad and can finally afford to go!

My original ticket to the show on an earlier date was rendered pointless as I had to be in China for work. To think I went through so much efforts in securing them before it was released to the public! But anyhows, I'm glad my friends enjoyed it on my behalf :) My new friend from Mount KK thought that I was too pitiful and decided to take me to the show last Saturday. Thank you new friend! :)

No photography allowed so all photos are grabbed from internet.


I've 'watched' the musical a few times (thank you Youtube) but nothing prepares me for a live one. I wasn't just impressed, I was completely blown away. It seized me in such a manner that I was left choked up even after I left the theater. The last time I was this choked up watching the musical was the 25th Anniversary celebration for Phantom of the Opera at West End in 2011 - oh Ramin Karimloo! But that's another post for another day... 

The musical is based on Gaston Leroux's French gothic novel Le Fantome de l'Opera. The story centres upon a hideous but musically gifted magician who lives deep below the fictitious Opera Populaire (which is based on the Paris Opera House). He is deeply in love with the beautiful soprano Christine Daae. Ashamed of his much feared appearance, he posed as the Angel of Music/Phantom of the Opera, coaching Christine into the star he believes she is and in return hopes she will fall in love with him. Unaware of her feelings towards her childhood friend, Raoul, the Phantom's obsession with Christine sets the stage for for a dramatic turn of events where jealousy, madness and immense passion collides.

"But do you love me? If Erik were good-looking, would you love me Christine?" - Gaston Leroux, Phantom of the Opera. 

Yes, the Phantom has a name - he's called Erik.

Grand opulent stage settings, intricate costumes, breathtaking melodies and powerful vocal cords are expected of each Phantom of the Opera performance - that's why the production performs to sell-outs across 151 cities (30 countries).  Sometimes I wonder if they ever have problems selling tickets.


Brad Little as Phantom and Claire Lyon as Christine

Brad Little is amazing as Phantom. After all, he's one of the only 4 men in the world to have done this role for over 2,200 times! I've watched a few Phantoms before (on Youtube that is), he's definitely up on list as one of my favourite men behind the mask (besides John Owen-James and Ramin Karimloo). He brings the right amount of anger and tenderness. One moment suave and confident in seducing Christine with his heavenly voice, another a raging pitch perfect madman. 

If you ever wonder or had a moment of doubt as to the possibility of Christine falling for a facially deformed and deranged Phantom, Brad Little cleared that all the moment he hits the first note. His delivery of Music of the Night was a haunting balance of charm, tenderness and longing. Like Christine, the entire full house of audience was completely seduced. 

The iconic boat scene was breathtaking, seeing the stage transform before my eyes was just magical! Another favourite of mine would be the seductive number - Point of No Return. Who would have thought an erotic emotion could be sung in such a classy way? 


Claire Lyon as the talented but naive Christine was brilliant as well. Her rendition of Think of Me as she transformed from a shy chorus girl to confident lead in the number definitely gave me some serious goosebumps. 

The scene of the Final Lair - where the Phantom kidnapped Christine out of desperation, to marry him in his lair, still gets me no matter how many times I watched it.  His final plead to be loved, to be accepted. When he was struggling and Christine was trying to appease him by saying the true deformity lies in his empty soul and not his disfigured face. When he was unmasked and left with the final nothingness, when he sang "Masquerade, paper faces on parade. Hide your face, so the world will never find you". Oh my uncontrollable tears! 

Younger days Andrew Lloyd Webber with Sarah Brightman, and the very first Phantom, Michael Crawford

One of the most amazing thing about the musical is despite 27 years on, the piece doesn't feel dated. The music is still mesmerizing, the plot still attracting sell-outs from all over the world. I guess everyone will always love a good love story. Especially one that holds the hidden love story behind this epic musical - the romance and now-over marriage of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber and the very first Christine, Sarah Brightman. It was mentioned he wanted to write a romantic piece for the first time in his career as he felt the overwhelming love he had for his Angel of Music. I remembered an old interview where Webber mentioned that sometimes he felt like he's the Phantom, with not so great looks but amazing musical talents, seeking the love of a beautiful soprano (i.e Brightman) by trying his very best to make her a star. And yes she did become an international star after the musical hit Broadway (and how Webber had refused to bring the show over to the States unless Brightman gets to play Christine). Sigh. I guess most of us are just hopeless romantics deep down inside, wanting to be loved and accepted despite our flaws. The Phantom clearly appeals to that side of us! 

The entire musical is gorgeous, enchanting and well-performed by an outstanding cast. I was left with so much emotions I refused to leave the theater until I was asked to by one of the ushers as they had to clear the area. 

It's so good I've persuaded my sister to accept tickets as my birthday present to her - nothing like celebrating the big 3-0 with Phantom of the Opera live! There isn't many seats left and the show has to close 1st September (extended with 8 additional shows due to sell-out for earlier dates!) so do grab your tickets quickly if you want to catch them! 

I shall end this post with the cast without the make-up - from left: Brad Little (Phantom), Claire Lyon (Christine) and Raoul (Anthony Downing).

Phantom really doesn't look so bad! :) Look at that cheeky grin!

Extremely psyched I'm going to catch it again next Wednesday! :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top